Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:50:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT vs Linux vs FreeBSD

Is there any significant difference between either of the two FreeBSD
"distributions"?  On Linux, for example, the differences are really
massive between distributions.  Different libraries, different apps,
different configurations, different file layouts,different administration
tools...

For example, Slackware has your basic installation wizard, a rudimentary
package manager (really, it manages tarballs with an install script
embedded in them), libc5 (libc6 now, but most of the binaries still are
linked against libc5), and that's about it.

RedHat has a spiffy installation wizard, all the authentication is
PAMified, it supports MD5 passwords, has the RPM package manager, it uses
SysVinit, all the configuration files are in /etc/, all the software is
configured completely differently, Vixie cron instead of Dillon cron,
different version of the C compiler, additional X drivers, ... in fact,
most utils are significantly different.

Stampede, also radically different.  And it has the Stampede package
manager.

SuSE, uses RPMs, but again massive differences.

ROCK, from what I understand, consists of a handful of shell scripts and
some sourcecode.

Debian uses the .deb packages.  Again, not compatible with any of the
others, although Debian can use RPMs.

Now, if I log in to any one of these distributions with only knowledge of
one, chances are I'm going to be functionally useless aside from basic
tasks for about a week.  I can't even copy binaries between some of these.

If I log in to a Walnut Creek FreeBSD machine, then I check out a
Cheapbytes FreeBSD machine, I'm probably not going to have any difficulty
whatsoever.  I can FTP down any packages I want from any standard FreeBSD
FTP site, I can use the ports collection, it's all compatible, and for the
most part, identical.  I don't see any real difference between the two.
Their fundamentally the same, and anything different is just fluff.

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 03:28 PM 7/14/99 -0700, Tani Hosokawa wrote:
>
>  >Actually, there is no CVS tree for Linux :)  I don't see what the big deal
>  >is.  Who cares?
>
> We all should, because there's an important question here: What constitutes
> a distribution? I say that any package that includes a significantly different
> selection of components qualifies.
>
> --Brett

---
tani hosokawa