Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:54:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Blue Moon Network Administrator <root@net.bluemoon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   login user expirations

I am currently running several FreeBSD machines as part of our web and
server farm, frankly I have always loved FreeBSD since I first tried it in '95.

One thing I haven't found for FBSD is a straight-forward login user
authentication system incorporating account expiration and locking methods.

We currently use Digital Unix 3.2c for our dialup auth and shell account users
and it isn't y2k ready. I'm not about to spend $10K to get ripped off by Compaq
for an upgrade to Tru64 Unix 4.0d, an unlimited site license, etc. ad nauseum
as I learned the hard way that DEC rips you off any way they can. It's time to
retire our Alphaserver 1000 and move on to the future.

I'd like to do it with FreeBSD, but we need time based user account expiration
and authentication for use with both radius and FTP/shell users.

Is there anything for FreeBSD that would expedite this sort of thing or would
we be on our own writing some sort of PAM module?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

J. Henry Priebe Jr.       Blue Moon President & Network Administrator
root@bluemoon.net         net.bluemoon.net - Blue Moon Online System
V.90, X2 & K56flex        www.railfan.net  - The Railfan Network
http://www.bluemoon.net   mud.bluemoon.net 4000 - MoonMUD
bbs.bluemoon.net          irc.bluemoon.net - ZUHnet Buffalo, NY IRC Server