Date:      Fri, 11 May 2007 10:27:34 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <edmunds@it-depo.lv>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: cdrecord "hangs" system (while blanking cd)

It is hardware but since you've already decided it isn't, this
post is probably a waste of electrons.

But for anyone else who is actually interested in troubleshooting
and not jumping to conclusions, the problem is the drive isn't
handling the full atapi command set properly.  The drivers work
around this to some extent, but is this really a problem, after all?
The system isn't panicing or crashing, and burning a cd is a
desktop application anyhow.

You can get a different CD-RW burner (Goodwill sells them for $5 a drive
nowadays) and find that some models work like this one, some work
perfectly, and some don't work at all.

Ted