Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:09:29 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Paolo Pisati <p.pisati@oltrelinux.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD_Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hey, is there space for a newbie? =)

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 07:56:43PM +0200, Paolo Pisati wrote:
>=20
> Here there's a mini list of things i would like to work on, tell me=20
> which one is available and fell free to add any other project you=20
> think could help the FreeBSD community in general.

> -a fs with journaling: some times ago, i would like to develop
> my own fs with journaling, but right now i could even drop the
> dream of my own fs and JUST port the xfs/jfs for FreeBSD..

Your own Journaling FS could be intresting, especialy if you licensed it
under a BSD license.

> any ideas is welcome.... =3D)

If you have an intrest in networking, you might look at what it would
take to build a pure netgraph TCP/IP stack.  It probably wouldn't
become the default, but it could be very useful for research if the
components where properly seperated.  You'd need a routing module, ip
module, and tcp module at least.  You'd probably also want to implement
various versions of TCP (tahoe, reno, newreno, vegas, FreeBSD, etc).  An
intresting research topic related to that would be building a TCP stack
where it's easy to replace the congestion control algorithm.

Some one may already be working on this, but an iSCSI implementation
(hopefully both sides) would be cool.

-- Brooks

--=20

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu