Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 22:51:03 -0800
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StarOffice 5.1 Problem.

Danny wrote:

> Hello,
>
> -installing Staroffice 5.1 for FreeBSD

Unless something has happened in the last week or 2 that I don't know
about, there is no StarOffice for FreeBSD.  You're installing the
StarOffice for linux, which can be done, I just did.

> -Got FreeBSD 3.3
> -using the default KDE that comes with FreeBSD.
>
> - Ia m upto the following stage of the isntallation process
>
>    5.change directory into so51inst/office51, and fire up the network install
>
>      ./setup /net
>
> - I get the following error message
>
> /usr/tmp/sv001.tmp/setup.bin : error in loading shared libaries
> libvos5171i.so: cannot open shared object files no such file or directory
>
> Question
>
> 1)What exactly is the problem?

The problem is that the install program doesn't know where to look for
the shared libraries because it thinks it's running on a linux machine.

> 2)How do I find a souiton to the problem?

The solution is to type in:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp/sv001.tmp &&export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Now, try it.
After you've installed it, you may run into a couple of bugs that are
widely known and have easy fixes.  You need to replace the file
path/to/Office51/bin/applicat.rdb with one from a linux box.  This is
available on the web at:   www.stat.duke.edu/~sto/StarOffice51a
The other bug has to do with a patch to procfs_status.c.  Since you're
running 3.3, I believe this will not be an issue.  If I recall
correctly, that is only for 3.2 and prior.
After you run ./setup /net, you'll need to do a workstation installation
which adds only a few megabytes to your home directory as opposed to 176
megabytes.  There was a strange kind of thing that happened when I did
it.  I had to use the ./soffice command to run the setup as user,
instead of running ./setup again.  But it wasn't a problem. After that
step was finished, the ./soffice command started up the program
normally.  The program has worked flawlessly for me.

> Looking forward to your feedback.
>
> Danny
> (dannyh@idx.com.au)

Hope this helps, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Joseph

--
	You will do foolish things,
     but do them with enthusiasm.  Colette.