Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 15:15:43 -0700
From:      Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC <chad@shire.net>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1047246901.8cfa85@mired.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: partition is "e" should be "a" -- how to fix?

On Tuesday, Mar 4, 2003, at 14:55 US/Mountain, Mike Meyer wrote:
>> However, I am wanting some second opinions on this,
>> and since I am not a disklabel guru, some guidance on how to use
>> disklabel
>> without screwing up my system would be appreciated.
>
> Basically, run "disklabel -e /dev/da0s1". That will create a temporary
> file with the disklabel in it, and open an editor on that file. Delete
> the line - if it exists - for a, copy the e line to where it was, and
> then change the initial e to an a. Then save the file and exit the
> editor. Fix your fstab to refer to da0s1a instead of da0s1e, and
> reboot.

Okay, should I be able to have an "a" and an "e" that overlap?
Disklabel doesn't seem to want to let me do this.

before:

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
   c:   803187        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
49*)
   e:   803187        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.    0 -
49*)

after:

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
   a:   803187        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.    0 -
49*)
   c:   803187        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
49*)
   e:   803187        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.    0 -
49*)

I get a "partitions 'a' and 'e' overlap -- reedit?" or something very
similar to this.  If I say no, it quits out but then reading the
disklabel back in shows no "a".  if I try and replace "e" with "a" so
that there is only one I get an  error "disklabel: ioctl DIOCWDINFO:
open partition would move or shrink" and it won't let me do that
either, even in '-r' mode which should only affect the on disk label
and not the memory label(??) .

So I am still not getting this to work.  (4.7 machine)

thanks
Chad