Date:      Sat, 08 Jan 2005 23:09:47 +0100
From:      Lars Tunkrans <lars.tunkrans@bredband.net>
To:        Steve Clement <steve@ion.lu>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:    Re: CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz (2793.01-MHz K8-class CPU) 0% idle?

Steve Clement wrote:

> Indeed, I was running a GENERIC Kernel and it lacked SMP support, now
> all is compiled in and I have a new phenomenon.
>
> I am seeing idle variations from 0% up to 50% in a rather cyclical way.
>
> HOW can I see what program causes this, top isn't much help but:

No you dont !

   It is the System load that varies !  The Idle count is just a representation
   of unused capacity.

   Try running  systat(1) in a Terminalshell.
   It will give you a crude curses based live  representation of which
    proceses are generating load on the machine.
   Its crude "graphics"  can be easier to visualise than the numbers in top(1).

//Lars