Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 17:47:18 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alexander Sanda <entropy@compufit.at>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   -current (aka 4.x) breaks libtool

Hi

This isn't exactly topic here, but it might be useful as a little hint
or warning...

Even most recent versions of libtool (1.2e imho) fail to check for
freebsd4* (as expected). As a result, they set can_build_shared to "no"
which disables building of shared libraries.

This affects most major projects like kde or gnome and can result in
major abuse of disk- and memory space :)  (some kde or gnome binaries
tend to get *very* large when linked statically).

Workarounds ?

I'am currently using --host=i386-unknown-freebsd3 as a possible
workaround, another way might be a small modification of ltconfig.

Sorry, if this has been already mentioned...

--
# /AS/                               http://privat.schlund.de/entropy/ #