Date:      15 Jan 1999 15:18:10 -0500
From:      Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   umount: permission denied as root?

I recently purchased an optical drive for doing backups.  After doing a
backup, I naturally flipped the switch to write protect.

At a later point, I needed to restore some files from the backup, and
so, stuck the disk back in, and mounted it.

When I was done, the disk wouldn't unmount.  When I tried, umount
came back with a 'permission denied'.  At the time, I was root. (If
root doesn't have permission, who does?!)

The problem was in my /etc/fstab file, I had the following:

	/dev/da1c      /backup         ufs	rw      0 0

OK, so it is my fault, I should have mounted it read-only.
Unfortunately, it took a reboot to get the disk out of the drive!

So, I am thinking that perhaps the code should be made more robust?

+C

--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?
Please read this first: <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;

Cory Kempf                Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
ckempf@enigami.com        <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;