Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 1997 21:47:15 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount -o async on a news servre

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> I realize FreeBSD has problems handling JAZ drives that the other
> BSD's do not, like getting the media size right for a drive without
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> meduia inserted instead of throwing an error into dmesg:
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You simply can't do this.  Either, the drive reports a medium size, or
it doesn't.  If it doesn't, you're at wits end: the drive could
support differently sized media as well, so you can't even guess which
one Terry will insert next. ;-)

> 	(ncr0:1:0): "iomega jaz 1GB G.60" type 0 removable SCSI 2
> 	sd1(ncr0:1:0): Direct-Access
> 	sd1(ncr0:1:0): FAST SCSI-2 100ns (10 Mb/sec) offset 8.
>
> 	sd1(ncr0:1:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB

This one might be a FreeBSD driver problem.  You can compile your
kernel with SCSIDEBUG enabled, to learn which SCSI command triggered
that problem.

> 	sd1 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry
>
> 	sd1(ncr0:1:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0 Medium not present
> 	sd1: could not get size
> 	0MB (0 512 byte sectors)
>
> However, I doubt if this is JAZ specific; it seems more related to it
> being removable than anything else.
>
> (yes, the drive was spun up at the time, so you can't blame that).

The drive was not read.  It claimed the medium being not present.  How
should the driver know that there really was a medium in the drive, if
it claims wrong?  (FreeBSD had a problem with devices saying ``Device
is in the process of becoming ready'', but i fixed this recently.)

> The eject was manual.

Which eject?

> Truly, when I press the eject button, an "umount -f" operation should
> occur on behalf of the FS's mounted on the drive... oh well.

I'm afraid you gotta wait for SCSI-4 for this to happen.  AFAIK, the
drive doesn't start a transaction on the bus if you press the eject
button, saying ``Terry wishes to eject my cartridge right now''. :-)
So the system couldn't know, even at best willingness.

(It doesn't even announce the arrival of a new medium unless you ask
for it, sadly.)

--
cheers, J"org