Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 1995 02:17:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      agc@uts.amdahl.com (Alistair G. Crooks)
To:        thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de (Thomas Gellekum)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postgres95 for FreeBSD

> [postgres versions]
> >
> > Postgres95 is derived from Postgres v4r2 - there's an incomplete port
> > of v4r2 to NetBSD/i386, and a version by (I think) Clarence Chu, who
> > wouldn't release his sources.  Pg95 is superior to v4r2 - there's now
> > an SQL monitor (SQL-3, the O-O one) in place of Postquel, lots of bugs
> > cleaned up, support for dead features/devices removed, and speeded up
> > (30% better on Wisconsin benchmarks than v4r2).  All in all a nice
> > piece of work, by two grad students in Berkeley.  And, like I say, it
> > already works on FreeBSD, and has done for a coupla months now.
>
> Yes, I know, but from what I remember, postgres95 is a beta version
> with sometimes changing interfaces or formats. postgres v4r2 should
> be a stable and already widely known and supported version, so people
> might want to use it.

The release of Postgres95 will be in September (1995, for all you
cynics).  Whilst it's true to say that the database format changed
between one of the beta cycles, there are also tools provided to
migrate your databases.  As far as I can see, Postgres95 is more
stable than v4r2 (bugs have been fixed), and provides more
functionality as well as being quicker, so people might want to use
it.

There's no support for v4r2 - the Postgres group was disbanded at the
end of 1994, although the mailing list limps along occasionally.
However, there is active support for pg95, from the mailing list, the
developers and the various people who have ported it to different
OSes.

OK, sales puff over - I'm off to the dentist to have a wisdom tooth
extracted.

Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)                    +44 125 234 6377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.