Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 18:06:35 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE>
Cc:        wjw@IAEhv.nl (Willem Jan Withagen), hardware@freebsd.org, scsi@freebsd.org, admin@IAEhv.nl
Subject:   Re: SCSI disks

>  > So I'm now looking for new disks. I've got 2 offerings:
>  > 	Seagate Barracuda 4.3 GB
>  > 	Quantum XP34300S
>  > The need to run on FreeBSD 2.0.5 and up.
>  > Long agood I tested the quantum with an NCR 53810 and an Adaptec 1542B
>  > and in both case it did not seem to work. Now things might have changed, b
> ut
>
> Hmmm, that's surprising, since my current development system uses
> a Quantum Atlas (though its the XP32150S, the 2GB version). This
> drive worked with the NCR driver of Spring 1995 at least, when I
> first tested it.

     I'm using a Quantum Atlas 34300S and an NCR-815-based SCSI
controller, and they're working great.  I've used it under 2.1R, and I'm
now using it under 2.2-snap-960801.  The block write performance
(~3.3MB/s) isn't as good as I thought it would be, but it's good
enough.  I could always mount the drive async.

> The Quantum Grand-Prix (XP34301S) is a different beast. It has got
> bad press because of many failed (or DOA) drives, and it is noisy
> and significantly slower than the Atlas, though both are 7200RPM
> drives.

     The Grand Prix must be really noisy, as my Atlas has a constant
ear-annoying whine (I think I'm going to go deaf in my right ear,
listening to it ;-(), and perhaps makes the loudest seek noises that
I've ever heard.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.