Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 20:43:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Banning <sky_tracker@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   can't access certain web addresses - very weird

I have a freebsd machine which has been operating
fine for a long time, providing web access for a
small network.

For some reason the machine cannot access certain
web addresses. It has something to do with DNS.

When I try to access my home site,
skytrackercanada.com, I get no connection,
but I CAN connect directly to the IP address of my
home
machine. Other people CAN connect normally to home
machine.

I can't even do a whois;

david>$ whois freebsd.org
whois: org.whois-servers.net: No address associated
with hostname

yet this will work;
lynx http://www.yahoo.com

but I cannot go to many parts of the yahoo.com
web site, but CAN go to others. No, it is not
just running on the the browser cache. I can
refresh and also go to previously unexplored links.

The only way I am now managing to access the web with
out problems is by setting the browser to
my home's proxy server using, my home
IP address as the server, on 3128 - going that route
proves to be problem free.

My first guess was that the problem is the ISP, but
they solemly deny it. They are a hugh company
providing a few million users. Now I am wondering
whether it is a virus, but I have not seen alot of
activity on the list about viruses effecting freebsd
itself, most win boxes attached. Maybe I've been
cracked?

Does anyone have an idea of tests I can run to get
more information?

=====