Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:00:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

On 27 Jul 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Len Huppe <huppe@execpc.com> writes:
> > As a newcomer to FreeBSD, I am intersted in knowing why so many of you
> > *hate* bash.
>
> It's buggy

	How and where?

> and bloated. It provides much fewer features than zsh yet
> has a larger memory footprint.

	I won't try to defend the memory footprint, but how many fewer
features (other than programmable completion) are we talking about?

> It's under GPL.

	No argument there, although frankly that's not an issue for me.
Also, as I understand it Bash's license is a slightly modified version of
the first GPL, so it's not quite as bad as all that.

> Try zsh. Don't just install it and use it as a drop-in bash
> replacement, but read the man pages and use its features. For
> starters, learn to use its extended globbing and its programmable
> completion. Trust me, you'll get addicted soon enough.

	What features specifically do you recommend that we look at other
than those two, and how do they differ from bash? I'm willing to give
another shell a look, but "Use this, it's better" isn't a convincing
argument for me. :)

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter