Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:35:34 -0700
From:      "Robert M. Shields" <wildcard@bnswest.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   DSL / Routing / ipfw issues

Hello,

I'm having issues with FreeBSD 3.2 - STABLE and a newly acquired cisco
675 DSL router.   What I'm trying to do is drop the BSD box in-between
the 675 & my network to act as an ip firewall, with the topology looking
like such:

 --------                     ---------
-------                      -----
| MyLan| -------  pn0 | IPFW  | fxp0 ----- eth0| Cisco|wan0-0  -----|

---------                    ---------
-------                     ------

My lan has 3 other systems connected 2 windoze clients & a FBSD
3.2-stable Box providing DNS (as a shadow domain ) HTTP, FTP & telnet
services.   The DNS is configured to provide lookups for my own shadow
domain, and forward anything else onto the ISP's DNS.

pn0 has a internal ip address of 192.168.123.3
fxp0 has an external (to my client network) ip of 10.0.0.1
eth0 has an ip of 10.0.0.2
wan0-0 is set to DHCP an address from my ISP.

Oh and the 675 is setup for NAT.

What I'd like to know are what is the best (i.e. simplest) possible
configurations for my ipfw in this situation.   Would it be better to
bridge the two networks together and have ipfw filter packets or can
this be done easily by routing packets between the two interfaces?

  I had routing setup to begin with and was able to ping the 675 from my
FreeBSD box (ip 192.168.123.1)  but when I tried to ping the 675 from
both of  my windoze systems, the packets timed out.   (Yes, I had the
default gateway address  of 192.168.123.3 setup in the windoze
networking config.)

Also, what should the cisco's & the firewalls routing tables look like
with this setup?

I've read the online tutorials at freebsd.org & mostgraveconcern.com
(the cheat sheets), as well as relevant info in "TCP/IP networking" &
"Building Internet Firewalls"  both by O'reilly, but it seems I'm on on
information overload right now <breathing deeply>...  ...

Oh and my rc.firewall script looks almost similar to the one from the
cheatsheets.  I'll post it if you need it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert M. Shields