Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:21:19 -0600
From:      "Donald J. O'Neill" <duncan.fbsd@gmail.com>
To:        Kristian Vaaf <vaaf@broadpark.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Haven't been able to make world in about a year

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 05:15, Kristian Vaaf wrote:

> Hello Don!
>
> Thank you for some good help.
>
> My make.conf only had some use.perl stuff.
> I added your flags.
>
> Also I've revised my sequence:
>
> cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/cvsupfile \
>
> && cd /usr/obj \
> && chflags -R noschg * \
> && rm -rf * \
>
> && cd /usr/src ; make clean \
> && make buildworld \
> && make buildkernel KERNCONF=NINJA \
> && make installkernel KERNCONF=NINJA \
> && make installworld \
> && mergemaster \
>
> And am now ready to give it another go :)
>
> All the best,
> Vaaf

Krisstian,

There are some places in your sequence, that I think are going to give
you trouble. DO NOT run this as a script, run script while you're doing
it. I think you're misunderstanding some things, so, I give the
procedure I use again with some comments about what is happening:

>cvsup -g -L 2 sup-src

>script /home/script/buildworld/bw-20060228

>cd /usr/obj
> pwd
>/usr/obj		this is confirmation I am where I want to be
> ls
>usr			Hey, there is something there

>chflags -R noschg *
>rm -rf *
>ls
>			it's gone, great

>cd /usr/src
>pwd
>/usr/src		I am where I want to be

>make cleandir		whole bunch of action on the screen
>make cleandir		run it again, yes you want to do that

>make buildworld && make buildkernel KERNCONF=PRES1750-i386

>make installkernel KERNCONF=PRES1750-i386

>exit			shut off script
>shutdown -r now

at the boot menu, hit the <6> key you want to come up in single-user
mode, not multi-user. If you make a mistake, reboot and do it right. If
it went by too fast, use the spacebar to halt the boot process.

> <6>
OK  boot -s		boots up but you're not done yet
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:  <Enter>
# fsck -p		<Enter>
# mount -u /		<Enter>
# mount -a -t ufs	<Enter>
# swapon -a		<Enter>

# script /home/script/buildworld/iw-20060228
# cd /usr/src
# pwd			am I where I want to be
# /usr/src		yes, I am
# mergemaster -p	run mergemaster in preinstall mode

# make installworld	hey, look at it go
# mergemaster -i
answer <d> to remove the old temporary directory, you don't need it
anymore.
answer <i> to everything mergemaster asks, I don't care that the
recommedation is to handle it later, if you don't know what you're
doing, doing anything other <i> is just likely to screw you up in ways
you don't understand now, but you will later.

# exit			shutdown 'script'

# shutdown -r now	boot the system, come back up in multiuser mode.

If you did everything right, you're done with the buildworld sequence.

Again, DO NOT run this in a script. You're running the 'script' program.
If you don't want to sit and watch this go on, do something else. It
takes me about an hour and ten minutes to run it with an AMD64 3500+,
with an amd-tbird (1.3Mhz), it takes about two hours, with a 500Mhz
Pentium pIII, I run the buildworld and buildkernel part (and maybe the
installkernel, usually not) overnight.

I hope I caught you in time.

Don