Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2007 02:19:47 -0400
From:      Gary Corcoran <gcorcoran@rcn.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: advice on webcasting..

Julian Elischer wrote:
> Gary Corcoran wrote:
>> Julian Elischer wrote:
>
>>> though I don't know what they all are.
>>> I've haad suggess with mpeg-4 and H264 I think.
>>
>> My best guesses would be H.263 or MPEG-4 might be the most universally
>> receivable, including those of us forced to use Windows (XP) for our
>> multimedia machines. But I'm really not sure exactly what Windows
>> Media Player and Quicktime for Windows support out-of-the-box. Also
>> please try to choose a common audio format (MP3 ?). I remember one of
>> your broadcasts (thanks BTW) where I could see the video, but couldn't
>> decode the audio...
>
> I have a session running now at:
> rtsp://jello.ironport.com:80/Bsdtest.sdp
>
> try that..
> I'll have it up at regular intervals until the devsummit
> to allow testing.
>
> not  a lot of action but a video and audio track (low light)
> and low bandwidth (often < 100 kbits/sec).
> (picture of my study with no motion going on)
>
> It should be mpeg4-video and mpeg-4 audio with mpeg4 packetisation.

I tried it with the Quicktime (Windows) player - Works For Me! (TM)
It took a good number of seconds for it to lock in ("switching transports"
it said), and the audio is reported as AAC, but I get picture and sound...
I presume the low light level is responsible for the washed-out pastel-pink
picture...  :-)

Gary