Date:      Sun, 2 May 2004 08:15:37 -0600
From:      Robin Schoonover <end@endif.cjb.net>
To:        Panagiotis Astithas <past@noc.ntua.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Change default dumpdir to /usr/crash?

On Sun, 02 May 2004 16:32:30 +0300, Panagiotis Astithas wrote:

> Hmmm, tricky. In my office alone I can count at least 5 systems with
> different amounts of memory, from 128 MB to 1 GB. Now only the first one
> can get crashdumps in a 256 MB /var. If we resize /var to 1 GB (as I
> usually do) we get working crashdumps in 4 out of 5. Upping it to 2 GB
> we get all 5 of my systems. The maximum configuration of 4 GB (for
> 32-bit systems) needs a 4.5 GB /var, which is not too much for the 60 GB
> hard disks we buy nowadays in laptops (servers come with larger disks
> and need more space in /var for logs, anyway). If we cater for 64-bit
> systems too, we need even more...
>
> I think I would be conservative and suggest a 1 GB /var for now.

Or suggest a value based on the amount of memory.  Something like a base
value (256 MB or 512 MB?) + the amount of memory.

This would protect us in the instance that we have 1 GB or greater (which
is becoming increasingly more common) because otherwise we'd -still- get
bitten, and more and more systems these days start out with 1+ GB of
memory.

It probably could be implemented it similarly to how autosizing of swap is
implemented.

--
Robin Schoonover (aka End)
#