Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:31:46 -0500
From:      "Glenn McCalley" <techlist@bnetmd.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to tell what ran what

----- Original Message -----
From: "Björn König" <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To: "Glenn McCalley" <techlist@bnetmd.net>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 11:13 AM

> Glenn McCalley schrieb:
>
> > Is there a way to find out -which- -process- calls another process?
>
> Each process is associated with a parent; look at the ppid column:
>
>    ps axo user,pid,ppid,command
>
> Björn

Thanks, I stated the question poorly.  My fault.
Is historical info available and is it available by file name?

I trying to find out (for example) what (unknown) program ran another
(known) program between 0900 and 1000 yesterday - something like that.

I've got a customer sending our emails that he shouldn't - I don't know
which customer it is.  The program that sends the mail is running as a cgi
so it all shows up as user "nobody".

If I can get a list of what programs, path and file name, called sendmail
over (say) the last 24 hours, one of them should jump off the page with an
unreasonable level of activitiy.

Thanks!
Glenn.