Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:51:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter <petermatulis@yahoo.ca>
To:        Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Disappointed with version 6.0

--- Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>
> >Right now I am running the 40 GB and the 200 GB IDE drives as master
> >and slave on the primary controller and the CDROM as master on the
> >secondary.  The USB and serial ports are working.  I concluded that
> the
> >300 GB disk was bad so I am returning it.  Currently I can say the
> only
> >problem I am experiencing is that the system will not come back up
> >after a (simulated) power failure (I'm using a UPS) even though I
> tell
> >it to do so in the BIOS.  Another point is that while in the BIOS
> the
> >CPU temperature shows around 45 C which does not seem possible.
> >

> [I think I got some attributions wrong in my original reply.
> Apologies].
>
> 45 is awfully hot.  My norm is ~25 never even getting to 30, but I
> have
> a monster heatsink with a slow/quietish 120mm fan.  However, even an
> amd64 4000 with stock heatsink/fan doesn't get much above 40 for me
> at
> normal room temperatures.
>
> There are only three possibilities 1) the BIOS is lying - quite
> possible and an update may fix that

I have the latest BIOS installed.

> 2) the cooling in your case sucks (or doesn't suck enough :-))

No, I have a decent heatsink and a 120 mm chassis fan.  I touch the
heatsink
and it is not even warm.

> 3) the heatsink isn't making that good thermal
> contact, but that's painful to fix compared to 1 or 2.

I re-examined my heatsink and decided to redo the paste.  I don't
expect
immediate results but I booted up and I see the temperature rise
steadily
from 30 to 43 in under a minute.

> You could check and see what sysutils/healthd reports.  It doesn't
get all the
> volatges correct, but gets temps that, for me, reasonably match the
BIOS and
> seem believable.

Is it a science project or fairly simple?

--
Peter