Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 12:36:02 +0400 (MSD)
From:      kostik <kostik@org.chem.msu.su>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dump takes ages on SCSI.  (several times faster on IDE)

On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Kent Stewart wrote:

> > Kent> It depends on what 2940 and what IDE drive you are talking
> > Kent> about. I have a Maxtor UDMA66 that is 20MB/s faster in some
> >
> > I don't think this explains it at all.  It would appear that the SCSI
> > driver is running in some "extra safe" mode, or something.  It has
> > 512M to write sequentually to a partition... and the counting on the
> > screen, we're looking at 2 to 3 seconds-per-megabyte (on a drive that
> > delivers write performance of about 10M/s in normal operation).
> >
> > Maybe what I should have said that the ratio of regular operation to
> > dump performance of the ide driver is about 1:1 while it's 10:1 for
> > the SCSI driver... why is this?
>
> I don't have any idea up front. One thing comes to mind and that is
> does your Quantum come up with "tagged queuing enabled". My IBM has

i have the same hdd, ibm dcas-34330W.
it is very interesting that "tagged queuing" was enabled for scsi driver
while i was working with freebsd-3.0-release
and became disabled (or isn't recognised) when i upgrade to
freebsd-4.0-release.

> that disabled or more precisely never enabled, which makes it slower
> and safer. My dmesg shows the drive as
>
> da0: <IBM DCAS-34330W S65A> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> da0: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 8, 16bit)
> da0: 4134MB (8467200 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 527C)

can you explain me this "safeness" please ?

        WBR,                              Konstantin Yu. Pasichnichenko
                                          E-mail : kostik@org.chem.msu.su
                                          FIDO   : 2:5020/118.82@fidonet.org
p.s. sorry my bad english.