Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 20:19:18 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cool, A White Snowy Christmas in Sunnyvale, California 8)

On Mon, Dec 21, 1998 at 08:30:29AM +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> Drew Baxter wrote:
> >
> > At 11:50 PM 12/20/98 +0100, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> > >According to Drew Baxter:
> > >
> > >I'd kill to have even that in France so be happy...
> >
> > Do you pay per-minute charges for local calls? friend of mine when he lived
> > in England it was like that.. I couldn't even imagine paying for my net
> > time like that.
> >

> Net access in England?, tell me about it. We still pay per minute,
> 1pence (~1.6c US) after 6pm and at weekends and 2.5pence (~4c US) at
> other times. Sounds like France has the same problems we have. Like
> France Telecom, British Telecom used to be state-owned but was then
> privatized, and at the same time the telephone business was
> de-regulated. We started to get a Cable TV network installed
> country-wide which also provides telephone services that promised
> cheap phone access and fast 'net connections.
>
> However it hasn't taken off to the extent that was expected so it's
> still only major urban areas that have any real service established.
> Part of the problem seems to be that it is mainly US & Canadian
> companies that are running it and seem to be using the N. American
> model for services, which just doesn't seem to work here, partly
> because we already pay ~100UKP (~$160US) per year for 5 normal TV
> stations :-(.

back in teh seventies we gave up licencing tv, i remember when tv was first
started her in australia .. i grew up without tv.

> The nett (no pun intended) result is that there is still no real
> national alternative to BT which means they are still effectively a
> monopoly. They make so much profit that the Government tells them to
> cut prices and rather than reduce the overall prices they come up with
> schemes which you have to join that gives you discounts on your 10
> favourite numbers, which actually is better as those who join save
> more than if the standard rates were dropped.

we have mich the same problem here but for diferent technical reasons. also
our govt is too greedy and won't really let go inspite of teh privatisng is is
talking about publically.

> This gets the price as low(?) as 0.6pence per minute after 6pm and at
> weekend. We do have ISDN but that costs an arm and a leg, even the new
> Home Highway that BT has just brought out which allows ISDN over
> normal twisted pair phone lines.

we have had out telecoms idea of 'isdn', well it worked not to bad if you
could afford it. but recetnly australia has also joined teh european standards
of isdn and we are starting to build infra structure to handle teh isdn
traffic.

> So, when I read US citizens complaining about $89 for a 256k/128k
> service it makes me laugh (well it makes me cry really :-) ). Don't
> complain, you guys have got it good.

same here .. las time i looked, isdn cost $AUD500-$AUD900 per month, fro 64k
and some 35 aust cents per 1 million chr and i forget what teh cents per
minute for teh connection were. also if yoir avarage traffic is less than 25
percent its the above costs, but if yu go to over 70 percent saturation cost
sore (pun intended) to about $AUD1k5 per month .. then thier is teh traffic
charges and the timed call fees.

yup, as poor as out americam freinds think thier services are, tehy are one
hell of a lot better than anywhere else int eh world, i've heard stories bout
how good, cheap, tcp/ip is in singapore but that could be just for teh
companies (forginers) in teh technology parks .. well tehy get those benefits
at teh expence of teh local peoples anyway .. sort of i suppose. i only know
what its like here and as i cant aford isdn i stoped looking, so things could
be a bit better but not by much.

regards and best wishes for christmass and new year.

jonathan