Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 2016 14:15:14 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Sol=C3=A8ne_Rapenne?= <solene@bsd.zplay.eu>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, pdw@ex-parrot.com
Cc:        owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/p5-Mail-RFC822-Address does not work as expected/described

Le 2016-01-04 13:49, Matthias Apitz a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I installed from the ports the port p5-Mail-RFC822-Address to verify
> mail addrs against RFC822; the example code provided by the author is:
>

> #!/usr/local/bin/perl
>
>   use Mail::RFC822::Address qw(valid validlist);
>
>   if (valid("pdw@ex-parrot.com")) {
>       print "That's a valid address\n";
>   }
>
>   if (validlist("pdw@ex-parrot.com, other@elsewhere.com")) {
>       print "That's a valid list of addresses\n";
>   }
>
> But I can only manage to get this working when doing the test as
>
>   if (valid("pdw@ex-parrot.com") == true) {
>
> Why is this? I'm by no means a Perl expert :-)
>
> Thx
>
> 	matthias

Hello,

I tried the following :

#!/usr/bin/env perl
use Mail::RFC822::Address qw(valid validlist);

if (valid("test@ex-parrot.com")) {
     print "valid\n";
} else { print "not valid\n"; }

this return "not valid"

You shoud always add the following on the top of your perl scripts :

use stict;
use warnings;

When you add the 2 uses, then you get an error with the example :

Possible unintended interpolation of @ex in string at ./test.pl line 7.
Global symbol "@ex" requires explicit package name at ./test.pl line 7.
Execution of ./test.pl aborted due to compilation errors.

If you use simple quotes then, you will have the "valid" message.
By using double quotes, I think it tries to call @ex array which is not
what you want.

Maybe the example used to work with some perl version, or it is
something else I don't know, but as this, the example doesn't work.