Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2014 15:17:09 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] fully integrate etc/Makefile into bsd.prog.mk

--lqNQQP0QkqoEXnWCKgfihtM0qThktO67X

On 9/23/14 3:01 PM, NGie Cooper wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 8:07 AM, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 23, 2014, at 2:41 AM, Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com> wr=
ote:

>>> Hi all,
>>>    I was wondering if anyone would have any serious objections to me =
converting etc/Makefile . The rationale for doing this work would be to e=
ase maintenance/customization.

>> Converting it from what to what?
>=20

[..]

> The three observations above are separate items and somewhat
> orthogonal/parallel to the work being discussed above (maybe I should
> have titled the thread "cleaning up the etc/Makefile kitchensink", but
> I was trying to be less bikesheddy).

Please keep in mind that the interface here to release build processes ha=
been relatively stable for a long time.  Gratuitous changes for no clear
benefit would not be well received if it means having to do things
significantly differently on some branches to others.

Knowledge of how this works, and/or workarounds for the quirks in it
embedded in at least the following:
mergemaster
etcupdate
snapshot builder
release build process
cluster release build process
my employer's release build process, along with other people's.

If there's a clear benefit that makes disrupting those all worth it, it h=
ad
better be more tangible than "it looks cleaner".

You're right that it's far from pretty, but its dealt with the same way a=
least as far back as stable/4 and consistency is important to some of us.=

--=20
Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; KI6F=
JV