Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2006 10:05:12 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo.raburu@wananchi.com>
To:        Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting a snapshot of a file system

* On 19/08/06 13:28 +0930, Malcolm Kay wrote:
| On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:21 am, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
| > Hi all,
| >
| > I believe that this might be possible..
| >
| > I have created a snapshot of a filesystem and moved it to a
| > remote host:
| >
| > dump -L0af - / | ssh remote_host 'gzip > snapshot.gz'
| >
| > Now I have the file snapshot.gz on the remote host.
| >
| > Two questions:
| >
| > 1. How can I mount this snapshot and access its contents?
|
| # zcat snapshot.gz | restore -i -f -
| See the restore(8) man page.

Thanks for this. I did read the restore man page, but I missed the
point. I'll stop working late into the night!

| > 2. How can I use this snapshot to create another system (a
| > clone)?
| This question leaves me wondering whether you realise that dump
| only backsup a single partition. From your dump you can only
| clone the root partition which usually is quite small and does
| not on its own lead to a useful system.

I know that fact. I needed to have clarified that this dump is
actually the "whole system, all partitions". In this particular
case, the disk is divided into two, swap (2.5xRAM) and / only.

| Anyway to restore this you need to create a suitable partition,
| initialise it with newfs, mount the partition, cd into the
| partition and then run restore -r. Again look at the restore(8)
| man page.

Oops... putting on my worn out boots and running to restore(8).
Thank you very very much. My actual problem was that I read too much
of the dump(8), until I simply got dumped ;)

	Best regards,
	Odhiambo Washington
	Systems Admin,
	Wananchi Online Ltd.

Are you hosting your domain name with the leaders??:
See http://webhosting.info/webhosts/tophosts/Country/KE

DISCLAIMER: See http://www.wananchi.com/bms/terms.php
 Odhiambo WASHINGTON			. WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)
 http://www.wananchi.com/email/		. 1ere Etage, Laptrust Plaza, Loita St.,
 Mobile: (+254) 722 743 223		. # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day...