Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:22:58 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Local CVS Repository, how to use ?

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 05:57:41PM +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> Hello,
> I have the whole of the CVS repository now on disk.
> All on it's own dedicated filesystem
> /cvs
> Errmm.. dumb question.
> How do I know emulate a cvsup from it into my working
> /usr .. tree(s) ? I want to update my -STABLE system
> for example.
>
> I guess I don't have to run the cvsupd to do this.
> I looked but information I did not find.
>
> Any tips, hints or RTFM's ?

If you just want to update the local tree, don't bother with cvsup(1),
just use cvs(1),

  # cd /usr/src
  # cvs -d /cvs up -Pd .

For a remote (but not _too_ remote ;) machine, it's probably easier to
export your /cvs repository via NFS and then use cvs(1) too on the
remote machines rather than cvsup(1).

If you plan on keeping modifications in your local tree(s), you
definately want to be using cvs(1) over cvsup(1).