Date:      Sun, 23 May 1999 12:45:19 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Subject:   UFS parameter survey: HELP WANTED!

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 12:45:19 +0200
Sender: phk@critter.freebsd.dk
Bcc: Blind Distribution List: ;

I recently made a 15GB filesystem and ended up with almost 500
cylinder groups.  That is unlikely to be optimal.  I talked to Kirk
about the right parameters for UFS on modern disks some years back,
and he said that no more than maybe a hundred cylinder groups made
any sense.

I think the fact that disks have gotten 25 times larger since the
newfs paramters were last tweaked means that it is time to do so
again.  Unfortunately determining the parameters are not simple,
so I would like to solicit help from as many as possible in
determining if we should retune the newfs defaults.

What I'm looking for is hard and soft data on the difference it
makes for various sets of parameters, for various workloads and
programs.  So if you have time and facilities, lend me a hand.

Basically, we can only sensibly compare data from the same hardware
with the same workload, otherwise there are too many things to
compare.  Not all things can be measured precisely, but try to
provide as much data as you can, and as good data as you can,
ie: don't change controllers move partitions change BIOS settings
without noting that you did so.

The newfs parameters I would like to map out are:

	-a -b -c -e -f -i -m -t -u

I'm generally interested in all impacts of this, but in particular
if you can measure one or more of these specific parameters:

	read performance
	write performance
	create performance
	fsck time
	space wastage
	"other"

I have no particular wishes for what program/application is used
to excercise the system, but I would always prefer real-world over
synthetic benchmarks.  If somebody could measure news-server and
web-server performance for instance it would be great.

If anybody feels like making a structured benchmark script which
just takes a device name as arg and runs some standardized tests
that would be great too!

Please report all results to <fs-data@phk.freebsd.dk> using this
form.  Put the information instead of the "___", but leave the line
number intact please.  You don't need to return the lines starting
with #

I will post news and updates about this project on:

	http://phk.freebsd.dk/ufs

If there is sufficient interest we will make a mailing list too.

Thank you for your participation!

Poul-Henning

*BEGIN UFSTUNE FORM*

# Your email address.  This will be used only to catalogue and
# request further details from you.  It will not be published
# or distributed.
# Example:
#   1 phk@freebsd.org
1 ___

# Identity of the system you used.  This is just to keep all measurements
# straight.  It is used with your email as a unique index.  This
# should identify one particular combination of hardware, excluding
# the disk you had the filesystems on.  If you have the disk on
# different controllers in the same system, that will count as two
# systems.  Use names/numbers/whatever helps you keep track of things.
# Please use the same thing for all measurements made on the same
# system.
# Example:
#   2 rover using NCR controller
2 ___

# Identity of the disk/device you had the filesystem on, please
# cut&paste the <...> piece from /var/run/dmesg.boot:
# Example:
#   3 <Quantum XP34300W 81HB>
3 ___

# Describe the nature of the test in one-line form.
# Example:
#   4 Time to fsck filesystem with all four 3.2 CD's loaded
4 ___

# Describe the nature and conditions of the test in
# sufficient detail that somebody else can repeat it.
# Example:
#   5 Filesystem is newfs'ed and mounted.  The four CDs from the FreeBSD
#   5 3.2 release were copied in using "find . -print | cpio -dump XXX"
#   5 where XXX is mountpoint/cd[1234].  Filesystem unmounted and run
#   5 /usr/bin/time -l fsck /dev/rsd0c
5 ___

# You must repeat the rest of the form for each experiment.

# document the newfs commandline used.  Include a -s option here.
# Example:
#   6 newfs -f 2048 -s 30720000
6 ___

# document any mount options, kernel features or softupdates.
# Example:
#   7 softupdates
7 ___

# note any other detailes pertaining to this experiment (multiline)
# Example:
#   8 BIOS set to 5 MHz/narrow
8 ___

# document the result of the experiment, for instance the output from
# time(1) or similar (multiline)
# Example:
#   9 2.91 real         0.03 user         0.05 sys
9 ___

*END UFSTUNE FORM*

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa--