Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2017 15:18:43 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of Intel Broadwell GPU Support??

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 11:29:48AM -0700, Pete Wright wrote:
> On 03/21/2017 11:22, Bob Willcox wrote:
> > Can someone fill me in on what the current status of support for the Intel
> > Broadwell GPUs is? I had been running with the scfb driver on one of my
> > systems (Intel NUC with an i7-5557U CPU) up until recently when I had to
> > reboot it. I had updated the ports about a week earlier and just yesterday had
> > to reboot it due to a power outage here.
> >
> > I haven't seen much mention/activity regarding the new i915 support for the
> > newer Intel GPUs and was hoping that there might be some documentation that I
> > could be pointed to so I can understand what all needs to be done to upgrade
> > to and run it.
> >
> > Note that I'm currently running 10.3-stable but would be willing to update to
> > something more current if necessary.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any info or pointers you can offer!
>
> Hey there Bob, you may want to take a look at TrueOS which is based on
> FreeBSD but they have been aggressively importing new drm code to
> support newer Intel GPU's.
>
> https://www.trueos.org/
>
> If you are comfortable tracking and building CURRENT yourself, you can
> try the drm-next branch at this github repository:
>
> https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics
> https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/wiki
>
> I don't remember if the latest drm-next code is required for Broadwell
> CPU's, but this code works well for my on my Skylake system.  Both
> approaches should allow you to use accelerated GPU graphics on your
> system though.
>
> Cheers,
> -pete
>
> --
> Pete Wright
> pete@nomadlogic.org
> @nomadlogicLA

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the pointers and info. I may look into TrueOS but in the past when
I gave a try with PC-BSD I found I missed some important (to me) aspects of
FreeBSD. One of them was the ctwm window manager which I have been using on
FreeBSD since about '94. Maybe I could run it on TrueOS but the desktop
manager that it defaulted to mostly got in my way.

I will probably go with the FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics path and see
how I fair with that.

Wish me luck!

Bob

--