Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 2015 09:57:29 +0200
From:      CeDeROM <cederom@tlen.pl>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-sysinstall@freebsd.org
Subject:   10.1-RELEASE UEFI RAID0 ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AMD64 PhenomIIx6

Hello there :-)

I have successfully installed and running FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE AMD64
on ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AMD64 PhenomIIx6 using RAID0 booting with UEFI.

UEFI and GPT seems replacement for BIOS+MBR in modern PC hardware. You
can forget about BIOS+MBR in case of UEFI which is tightly related to
hardware/firmware.

What is best about FreeBSD that I also could to the setup on older
ASUS M4A88TD/V EVO/USB3.0 which did NOT support UEFI at all. RAID0 was
possible to accomplish in 4TB size with no problem. GPT support was
already there in FreeBSD. I have installed MBR bootloader which then
switched to GPT support. This setup was not possible for Windows nor
Linux which were limited to see two 2TB devices, even on RAID. Hale to
the FreeBSD!! :-)

However, FreeBSD Boot and Kernel seems to work somehow different on
UEFI. There is no loader menu, there is no OS prompt. There is problem
with Xorg-NVidia driver which hangs the boot process at loader (you
need to use kld_list in rc.conf instead), and then hangs the computer
somewhere on screen blank. All seems new but familiar :-)

Also installing OS on UEFI is somewhat different. You need to create a
dedicated EFI partition where boot code is loaded (using dd as
presented on uefi wiki). BSDInstall creates such partition but its
only 512k in size, while boot1.efifat is 800k. I have created separate
partition that is 100M and it works fine as well. I think installed
could increase the boot partition size, and then dd the boot1.efifat
over there during install on UEFI platform..?

FreeBSD IS THE BEST!! THANK YOU!! :-)
Tomek