Date:      Thu, 02 Aug 2007 12:33:04 +0100
From:      Adam J Richardson <fatman.uk@gmail.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Roberth_Sjon=F8y?= <roberth.sjonoy@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nano issue

Roberth Sjonøy wrote:
> Hello, Ive just installed my prefered text editor, nano, but when im
> going to run nano, this just appears:
>
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libncursesw.so.6" not found ,
> required by "nano"
>
> What package do I need or what have I done wrong?
>
> Regards, Roberth.

Hi Roberth,

This is what the error means:

The program executer can't find the library "libncursesw.so.6", which
the binary "nano" needs to be available. If I understand this right,
that means the shared library for ncursesw built for FreeBSD 6.

I would start looking in the ports tree for "ncurses", "ncursesw" and
the like. If there's a port named "ncursesw" or "libncursesw", I would
guess that's your missing library right there.

HtH,
Adam J Richardson