Date:      Thu, 03 Jan 2002 12:37:50 -0500
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        weiwuzhang@263.net, grog@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        psoltani@ultradns.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fw: system halted after boot with CD-ROM (but before installation)

At 13:17 2002/01/04 +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
>Since i can still send this messege from Windows XP i think it's not the=20
>problem of my keyboard. when asked "press enter to boot immediatly" and=20
>it's begining to count down from 9, i pressed enter and it DOES boot=20
>immediatly, so at least at that stage the keyboard can still work.
>
>Hi greg, if you think it's possible to be a bug i will do more tests as=20
>changing my keyboard to another or unplug a display adapter etc. but i'll=
=20
>do it later since i'm preparing final exam.

Are you using a KVM switch? FreeBSD can sometimes be temperamental about=
 them.

I've had that happen once or twice--freezing at the same point where your=20
installation does--in all cases, while I was using a KVM switch.  Swapping=
=20
keyboards solved the problem.  The other alternative was to forgo the KVM=20
switch and plug the keyboard directly into the FreeBSD machine, which also=
=20
fixed the problem.

HTH
Scott Robbins