Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 19:25:20 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

At 12:06 AM +0200 10/12/00, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>Matt Dillon writes:
>
> >    I really have to take exception to such an idiotic posting
> >    by Poul, who seems to be trying to put words in my mouth
> >    that I have not said... in fact, Poul knows very well that
> >    I am not advocating an OpenBSD-style position.  He also knows
> >    very well that I am not the type of person to take such
> >    remarks sitting down.
>
>What you are advocating is in fact a almost total word-for-word
>repetition of the OpenBSD policy.
>
>You can stand up or sit down as you please, I don't care.

Why are people (both sides) so worked up about this?

It is clear we do NOT have universal agreement on disabling telnetd,
so why can't we just pick some middle ground and do something "more
secure" than what we have been doing, see how that works, and think
about disabling telnetd by default in some later release?  Why MUST
we fight to the death about it right this minute?

A few days ago I tried a proposal which seemed like a plausible
idea to me.  As near as I can tell, no one feels like even
replying to that idea.  Not to say "good idea", not to say
"stupid idea, it doesn't go far enough".  I am not among the
people who have dug in their heels to fight, so apparently it
wasn't interesting enough to comment on.

I do not understand the vitriol in this thread.  My guess
is that this is now more about personality clashes instead of
any reasoned debate by people using their brains.  Everyone
is pissing in everyone else's cereal, and the result is not
very interesting.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute