Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 1996 10:38:22 -0700
From:      patl@asimov.volant.org
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        mamirh@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Jaz drive suppliers & details?

|>   Now, what I haven't been able to find out is how the external Jaz is
|>  _powered_.  See, over here our electrons are upside down, and your average
|>  US wall wart has a hard time with that.  In addition, I travel a fair
|>  bit and am likely to want to take such a useful device with me, so I'd
|>  either want a range of warts (yuck but bearable), or an autosensing one
|>  (nicer).  So knowing what the unit's actual requirements were would be
|>  helpful.  (That's volts, amps, and what the funny little plug looks like.)

It's not a wall-wart, it's a brick.  It has a fixed cable that runs to
the power connector on the drive, and a standard power-cable-with-socket
to connect to the wall.  (The same type of cable and socket we get for
monitors, computers, etc.)  The brick itself is about 6x11x3.5 cm.  (See,
us yanks ain't all ignorant of the one true system of weights and measures.
And for you 'mercans reading this, an inch is defined as being exactly
2.54 cm.)

The label on the brick claims:

	Input: 100V~240V~ 0.4A 50/60Hz
	Output: 5V=1.0A
		12V=1.0A
	Total output power 15W max.

(What I have rendered as an equals sign is actually more like a dash with
a row of dots under it - about at the character baseline.)

|>   If the external unit is just a total loss, I'd have to go for an internal
|>  and the smallest external case I could find, which would be OK but
|>  somewhat bulkier (not so good).
|>
|>   Anyway, any comments on whether the above deal and dealer are any good,
|>  and any input from Jaz owners would be appreciated.  Anyone who knows
|>  anything about the upcoming Syquest unit, or any other cartridge disk
|>  of similar price/capacity should feel welcome to expound also!

I believe the prices here are about $US 500 for the external and $US 400
for the internal drive.  Each comes with a single 'Tools' cartridge.
(This is a cartridge specially formatted for use by both PC and Mac;
with various software tools and a multi-media 'tour'.  To use it you
must either install the software on a PC or Mac; or run the provided
'recover' utility, again, on a PC or a Mac.  Which OS you use dictates
which filesystem survives.  But then it doesn't matter if you are
going to overlay it with a unix filesystem...)

Cartridges run $US 120..125 each; but you can order them directly from
iomega at 5 for $US 500.  They list the price for Canada; but I don't
seem to have it handy.  I don't know if they accept other foreign orders.

-Pat

My opinions are my own.  For a small royalty, they can be yours as well...
Pat Lashley, Senior Software Engineer, Henry Davis Consulting
patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG                         http://Phoenix.Volant.ORG/