Date:      Mon, 06 Feb 2012 19:05:37 +0100
From:      Peter Maloney <peter.maloney@brockmann-consult.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HPC and zfs.

Am 06.02.2012 16:52, schrieb Peter Ankerstål:
> Hi,
>
> I want to investigate if it is possible to create your own usable HPC
> storage using zfs and some
> network filesystem like nfs.
>
> Just a thought experiment..
> A machine with 2 6 core XEON, 3.46Ghz 12MB and 192GB of ram (or more)
> I addition the machine will use 3-6 SSD drives for ZIL
FYI: With ESXi's NFS client (**the most evil of anything doing
synchronous writes), striping my ZIL made no difference. Either way, it
used 100% load on the SSDs and went the same pathetic speed. (gstripe
worked to some extent)

Using "-o sync" in the Linux NFS client does not use the ZIL at max
load*. If you can suggest another way to test (without ESXi), I will try
it on 3 SSDs (4 if the one that I RMAed comes back in time) and let you
know the results.

* With a pool that was created in 8.2-STABLE and upgraded to v28, it did
use max load. Now it doesn't. But is recreating that situation the right
way to test? It is not what you will be using.

** For more info about ESXi's terrible NFS performance, see this graph
http://doub.home.xs4all.nl/bench/sync.png and find the mail I got it
ZFS sync / ZIL clarification".