Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 2009 06:03:46 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@hergotha.csail.mit.edu>
Cc:        ed@80386.nl, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tmux(1) in base

* Garrett Wollman <wollman@hergotha.csail.mit.edu> [090921 05:39] wrote:
> In article <20090921112657.GW95398@hoeg.nl>, Ed Schouten writes:
>
> >At the DevSummit in Cambridge we briefly discussed including tmux(1) in
> >the base system. We recently had window(1) there, but unfortunately
> >window(1) was a very limited tool, compared to tools like screen(1) and
> >tmux(1). Why tmux(1) and not screen(1)? Well, simple. The first has a
> >better license and very active maintenance.
>
> Can you explain why any such utility needs to be in the base system?
> I'm not seeing it.  We have enough things in the base that most users
> will never use as it is.

I think he already explained that it's supposedly much better than
window(1) with a kinder license than screen(1).

We really ought to ship with a screen(1)-like program.  hopefully
we can make it screen compat rather than having something people
are not familiar with in base.

Any chance in getting the author to go to ^A and be more "Screenish"
so people don't have to learn a new tool?  Honestly, if it's very
different, the people will just continue to install/use screen.

--
- Alfred Perlstein
.- AMA, VMOA #5191, 03 vmax, 92 gs500, 85 ch250