Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:50:32 -0400
From:      Glenn Sieb <ges+lists@wingfoot.org>
To:        John DeStefano <john.destefano@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: increasing failed sshd logins/clearing breadcrumb trails

John DeStefano said the following on 9/16/2004 10:40 AM:

>>>The easiest way to protect this is to check your sshd_config and
>>>

>>set:
>>

>>>PermitRootLogin no
>>>

>Interestingly, this option did not exist in my config file (I added
>it), but all other options were commented out.  Is this the default?
>Is it wise to leave it this way?

Yes--it's in man sshd_config:

     PermitRootLogin
             Specifies whether root can login using ssh(1).  The
argument must
             be ``yes'', ``without-password'', ``forced-commands-only'' or
             ``no''.  The default is ``no''.  Note that if
             ChallengeResponseAuthentication is ``yes'', the root user
may be
             allowed in with its password even if PermitRootLogin is set to
             ``without-password''.

             If this option is set to ``without-password'' password
authenti-
             cation is disabled for root.

             If this option is set to ``forced-commands-only'' root
login with
             public key authentication will be allowed, but only if the
             command option has been specified (which may be useful for
taking
             remote backups even if root login is normally not allowed). All
             other authentication methods are disabled for root.

             If this option is set to ``no'' root is not allowed to login.

Best,
Glenn

          ~Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759