Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 15:43:22 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with linux programs and XFree86 4.1.0

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 09:17:21AM -0400, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:
> Whenever I run a linux X program I get the following :
> culverk:~:> vmware
> Setting TMPDIR=/var/tmp.
> XIO:  fatal IO error 9 (Bad file descriptor) on X server ":0.0"
>       after 1726 requests (1726 known processed) with 33 events remaining.
>
> This or something similar happenes for every linux program I have . It
> started happening after I upgraded to XFree86 4.1.0. Does anyone know
> what's wrong?

Not sure, but I suspect that you need your Linux X binaries and libraries
in /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6 synced up with your FreeBSD versions. Grab
the Linux 4.1.0 binaries from the XFree86 site and put the corresponding stuff
in /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6, after having backed up the original content
of course. Then you need to run /usr/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig. Be careful
not to run the FreeBSD ldconfig by accident!

(I think that you need Xbin.tgz and Xmod.tgz, unpack them in a temp directory
and put some of the files is the compat dir - at least I needed those for
enabling DRI for Linux binaries in XF 4.0.2)

Hope it helps,
Karel.