Date:      Wed, 05 Mar 2003 09:18:31 +0100
From:      Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>
To:        jdroflet@canada.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can I run my own Dynamic DNS server for private use ??

jdroflet@canada.com wrote:
> I have a static IP and a number of remotes with Cable or ADSL access.
> Remotes have FreeBSD, or router firewalls ala Linksys, Netgears.
>
> To make support/access easier can I set up my own Dynamic DNS server on
> the static address and have those remotes register their IP's with it
> when they change ?
> Thanks in Advance -Jay.

Sure, why not. I don't have experience with *dynamic* DNS but i do operate a
*private* DNS server in our department. You have to put your DNS server's IP
into your clients' /etc/resolv.conf and setup your DNS server to forward
requests that it can't hande itself to yur ISP's DNS server.

HTH

	Heinrich

--

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

E-mail: mailto:rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de
Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341