Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2008 16:43:27 +0100
From:      clemens fischer <ino-news@spotteswoode.dnsalias.org>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [solved] Re: usb-stick accessible, but doesn't boot

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 16:53:00 +0100 clemens fischer wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 15:05:32 +0100 clemens fischer wrote:
>
>>> Hans Petter Selasky:
>>
>>> Try the attached patch to "sys/kern/vfs_mount.c"
>>>
>>> Thanks for reporting. I have been aware about this issue for some
>>> time now, but the patch has not been committed to current yet.
>>>
>>> I have FreeSBIE reliably up and running with USB2.
>>
>> Can you tell me what to do to the kernel configuration?  Maybe I
>> don't have to compile any USB functions into the kernel and can put
>> them into loader.conf?  I always get these dependency problems.
>
> I think I've found my problem.  The kernel configuration really
> needs the line marked "required", which builds support for the
> USB bus: "device usb".  Except this line, every usb related item
> is a "nodevice" now.  The USB2 modules needed are kldload'ed in
> boot/loader.conf from the USB-stick, and this really works.
>
> Hans Petter: although I am not sure if my USB-stick needs it, the
> kernel was built using your patch.  So the least I can say about it:
> It doesn't hurt, and it might sure help with more restive devices.

Hans Petter pointed to me to the _real_ solution of my problem, and
I want to set the record straight:  The USB2 stack works fine, the patch
to vfs_mount.c makes the booting process more robust.  The easiest way
to make a system booting from USB mass storage is to exclude every usb-
related device from the kernel and kldload the needed modules in
boot/loader.conf:

  # /boot/loader.conf
  usb2_controller_ehci_load="YES"
  usb2_controller_ohci_load="YES"
  usb2_controller_uhci_load="YES"
  usb2_storage_mass_load="YES"

My problem was a left-over "device ucom" in the kernel configuration,
or actually, since I have "include GENERIC" at the top, the missing
"nodevice ucom" line.  It pulled in dependencies on the old USB stack.

-c