Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2019 10:47:01 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Heads up: Bumping Minimum build version to 11.

Greetings,

I'm in the process of bumping the minimum version of FreeBSD needed to
build from 10.3 to 11.x (still working on the x bit). There's other issues
with 11, but those are being addressed separately.

10.x can't built current because it's C++ compiler is too old. There's no
easy way to fix this because it can't build llvm w/o a lot of hacks, which
aren't productive. Upstream has moved away from using constructs that are
supported by clang 3.4.1 / g++ 2.4.1, and our policy is to not try when
that's happened as we will diverge from upstream for a feature that gives
very little benefit to our users.

To that end, I plan on bumping the minimum version needed to build -current
to 11.0 (assuming that the tests are successful). I also plan on removing /
retiring all the workarounds for pre 11 build systems, as is our normal
custom. While technically the project minimum is only the tip of -stable,
we can relax this through the efforts of those wishing it to work.
Historically we've done several major revisions back due to various needs
of our users, though with clang that's becoming more difficult (hence the
need to bump the minimum up to 11).

This is just a heads up that we're changing things to reflect the new
realities on the ground so others don't hit build errors later in the build
process.

Warner