Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 20:28:39 -0400
From:      Rob <telez@brown.edu>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ip src address in outgoing ipv4 multicast packets

I was just wondering why the src address is set to the host group in
outgoing multicast packets on RELENG_4?  As far as I can tell, rfc1054
says that the src address should be set to that of the host, not the
host group (6.2).  The behavior exists in 4.5-release also.

I noticed this because linux seems to reject mc packets with a multicast
source address  (which is also incorrect according to section 7.2).

Looking at the source, it seems trivial to get the correct (?) behavior.
Is there some reason why we shouldn't do this?

-r