Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 2015 19:56:38 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Jeffrey A. Serio" <serio.jeffrey@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Install issues

On Mon, 05 Oct 2015 12:45:52 -0500, Jeffrey A. Serio wrote:

> Polytropon writes:
>
> >> I never found a magic key-stroke combo to page up in
> >> console mode, so I am mostly in the dark.
> >
> > There is a nice little key, called "Scroll Lock", and it actually
> > does what's printed on it: it locks the screen (cursor disappears)
> > and you can use the vertical cursor keys and page keys to scroll
> > up and down. Press the lock key again, and you can continue where
> > you left the screen. Maybe the key is so old and so obvious that
> > you didn't see it. :-)
> >
> > No, seriously: Scroll Lock isn't supported on many systems to
> > work as it should. FreeBSD is an excellent exception here.
>
> Some newer keyboards don't provide a scroll lock key, or even a num
> lock key. I know mine doesn't. Perhaps there is another magic key-stroke
> combination that functions as scoll lock(?).

You can use the Pause / Break key instead - it has the same
function as the Scroll Lock key on the text mode console.

You could - in worst case - also define a custom key or key
combination as a new key mapping and load it, giving the
scoll functionality to something that exists physically on
the keyboard.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany