Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 21:11:58 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Steven Alexander <steve@cell2000.net>
Cc:        Steve Hill <sjhill@cotw.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Creating a system to boot 4 different OS types.

Steven Alexander wrote:

> I've had problems getting Windows NT to boot using bootloaders from other
> OSes.  I'd suggest installing NT last and putting it on the first partition.

The partition number does not really matter, what really matters is
that Windows wants to be in the very first tracks of the disk. This
is legacy left from DOS which always had the same mania.

> If it doesn't pick up any of the other OSes you can add them in easily using
> BootPart (http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm).  It's a free utility to add
> others OSes to the NT boot menu.  I'm running a Dual-Boot Windows NT and
> FreeBSD machine.  I installed FreeBSD after Windows NT to replace a linux
> install and BootPart did the trick.

NT (as well as 95/98) silently overwrites the master boot record.
To restore it just boot from the FreeBSD CD-ROM (or diskette), go
into the custom install and do the first step - the slice (FreeBSD-speak
for partitions) editor. Don't change anything, just press "w"
and when menu is presented select the MBR with menus. Complete this
write and reboot. The new master boot loader is ready.

> From: Gary T. Corcoran <garycor@home.com>

> >LILO should work for you.  At work I have it triple (quad) booting

In my hunble opinion LILO is the most brain-damaged boot loader I
ever saw. The FreeBSD master boot loader with menus is IMHO much better.

-SB