Date:      21 Feb 2001 10:26:44 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se
Subject:   Re: Moving userbase from a 4.0 -> 4.2 FreeBSD system

thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se (Thomas Uhrfelt) writes:

> I have purchased and installed a new box with all the applications we use
> on our normal FBSD box. Now I want to switch out the old box in favor of
> the new one, however I have one slight problem. How would I go about moving
> all the useraccounts (including passwords, which I do not know myself) over
> to the new system - so I don't have to give all the people new passwords.
> Is it just a matter of moving the /etc/password file over in singleuser
> mode or? Any help/instructions/hints would be much appriciated.

/etc/password is not used by the system.  You need to move over
master.passwd and rebuild the dependent files with pwd_mkdb(8) [or,
preferably, vipw(8)].  You will also, at a minimum, need to move
(merge) over the groups file and the home directories.  Depending on
your needs, you should possibly also include the mail spool, crontabs,
at jobs, and so on.