Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:45:44 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: running 32-bit mplayer (win32codecs) on FreeBSD-7.0-amd64

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Palle Girgensohn wrote:

> I've found some discussions about how to use a jail to build 32-bit ports on
> amd64, bu my need is simpler, I just need to be able to run win32codecs on an
> amd64 machine. Do I need to
>
> 1. build the relevant package chain on a i386 machine with the same major
> FreeBSD version, using LOCALBASE=/something-32
>
> 2. install the packages on the amd64 machine, in a separate root
> /something-32
>
> 3. set up ldconfig32_paths on the amd64 machine
>
> 4. just run the binary from the /something-32/path
>
> and hopefully it will work?

So basically what I would try first...

just build everything natively on amd64.

If the (one specific) port refuses to build on amd64 comment out the
ONLY_FOR_ARCHS= i386 and simply build and install it. It might just work...

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                 bzeeb at Zabbadoz dot NeT
Software is harder than hardware  so better get it right the first time.