Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 2004 15:28:32 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
To:        Gordon Freeman <freebsdjunkie@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3 and Adaptec RaidUtils

Gordon Freeman wrote:
> Between 5.2.1 and 5.3-RC2 the rasr device was removed:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/...May/023064.html
>
> In FreeBSD 5.2.1 it use to be that using the compat4x port and
> creating a symlink of /dev/rasr0 to /dev/rdpti17 would be enough to
> allow Adaptec's RAID management binaries work. However, that trick no
> longer appears to be working. When you run Adaptec's raidutil (either
> from the port or from the Adaptec package itself) the symlink
> disappears and raidutil returns an error stating that it couldn't
> connect to /dev/rdptr17.
>
> Any ideas on why the symlink disappears or another way to get the old
> Adaptec binaries to work under FreeBSD 5.3 short of rewriting asr.c to
> include a device alias?

Ugh, this is something that I never had time to finish up.  The problem
is that I modified the version number of the control interface (since I
had massively cleaned it up and removed lots of silly and deprecated
things), but I never modified the raidutils package to handle the
changes.  Since the raidutils source turns out to have a highly
ambiguous and likely toxic copyright and license for which Adaptec seems
to care little about, I'll likely never make the needed changes.  It
might be possible to revert the control interface back to something that
raidutil can use, but I can't get to it right now.

Scott