Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 22:11:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        flygt@sr.se
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newly installed 2.2.6

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Gunnar Flygt wrote:

>When I updated my 2.2.5 to 2.2.6 I ran out of space on /. When looking
>around I find that all the executable files in /stand are of size
>1167360! This goes for fsck, gzip and so on. The directory is in total
>approx 22 Mb. Has it always been like this, or is it a feature of 2.2.6?

Notice that that size of file will fit on a single floppy. Hmmm....

Take a look at your boot floppy too. It also has the same 22 MB. How can
that be you ask?

They are all the exact same file. Do 'ls -la' you will notice a number
right after the mode (e.g. -rwxr-xr-x 8 user group filename). In this case
8 is the number of hard links to "filename". This means that there are 8
files that are hard linked to the same bits on the disc.

See 'man ln' for information on hard links and soft links.

Thank you,       | Try some of this. It will show you where you're at.
Jason Wells	 | http://www.freebsd.org/