Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 1998 12:41:34 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Mike Jackson <muck@ida.net>, "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WordPerfect 8.0 For Linux works :-)

On Friday, 18 December 1998 at 19:07:08 -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 06:58 PM 12/18/98 -0700, Mike Jackson wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:
>>> Just in case anyone wants to be a little more sure before they download
>>> 23MB, yes, the just-released Corel WP 8 for Linux works fine under
>>> 2.2.8-RELEASE.  There is one minor glitch in the install if you download
>>> the seperate files, and that is you need to lowercase the filenames after
>>> un-gzipping them.
>>>
>>> O.K., so the font selection isn't great, but Corel claims that it will
>>> work with any T1 font that the X server has properly installed, and we've
>>> got a port that makes all the Ghostscript T1 fonts available to X, so that
>>> should improve once I've played around with it a little more.
>>>
>>> For those that don't know, see http://linux.corel.com
>>>

>> I can confirm that this works on 3.0-CURRENT.  I did have some trouble
>> getting the install script to run, but when I ran it from
>> /compat/linux/bin/sh it ran fine.
>
> How about writing (and posting) a script

Well, the correct way to do this is with a port

> that invokes the installer

There's nothing special there, except that it has this crazy DOS-based
idea of letting you decide where the binaries go.

> properly lowercases the filenames if required,

Not required.  I'm not sure under which scenario you'd expect to
change file names.

> and BRANDS THE BINARIES?

Not required.

> It'd be great to have this available so that reviewers and newbies
> don't have trouble. And if it were shown to the Corel folks, perhaps
> they could detect FreeBSD and install accordingly.

There's really nothing FreeBSD-specific in the install.  As I said,
the only decision is where to put the files.  And that applies just as
much to Linux.

Greg