Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:30:09 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Jay O'Brien <jayobrien@att.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD - questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CVSup questions

Jay O'Brien wrote:

>I have a system that right now I'm using to learn FreeBSD. I want to go
>through the update process that I assume I'll have to follow regularly
>once the computer is up and running as a web and mail server.  Right
>now I'm not concerned about backups; that's my next project.
>
>I'm attempting to follow "Using CVSup" and learn how CVSup works. See:
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
>
>Questions about CVSup:
>
>1. Where should I place supfile?  Obviously I could put it anywhere
>and make it work, but is there a usual place for it? I can't find
>where the manual makes a suggestion. Do I have a need for more than
>one supfile?

Place it whereever is convenient.  I'm probably weird,
but after I edit mine I stick 'em right in the root.  Then it's just

# cvsup /stable-supfile

You can edit them directly in place (/usr/share/examples/cvsup),
but then your changes would be overwritten if you reinstall
world (for example, during the upgrade procedure ;-)

I guess you could put 'em in your $HOME dir, too, with
similar results to above --- "cvsup ~/stable-supfile", for
example.

As for needing more than one supfile, the real answer is
"no", but with the quid pro quo "not if you know what you're
doing".  If you're just getting started, I'd simply use the ones in
/usr/share/examples/cvsup (all the appropriate ones) for
stable, ports, and, if desired, doc.

>2. I am running 5.3 RELEASE. It appears that if I specify "*default
>tag=." that I will be getting updates from "current". Is this what I
>should do, given that I want to stay current on security and bug
>fixes, but I don't (at this time) intend to get involved with beta
>testing?  Or should I specify *default tag=RELENG_5_3? And, if I do
>that, will the ports be updated, including adding new ports?

If you use only one supfile, you'll need to have two tags,
one for src, and one for ports and/or docs.

You probably want RELENG_5 or RELENG_5_3, depending
on how conservative you want to be, in your -stable (src)
supfile.  In the ports supfile, you want "." (the dot - HEAD/
CURRENT), because why would you want outdated ports
or documentation?

>3. The tutorial at http://www.us-webmasters.com/FreeBSD/Install/
>after item 68 describes CVSup. It suggests using the supfile
>/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile which gets the "ports-all"
>collection. However, the Using CVSup manual says to get "src-all",
>that includes ports-all. Is there some reason to use ports-all, not
>src-all as suggested by the handbook?

I'm not too familiar with the document you describe.
I think that guy reads this list sometimes, but it's
his site, not the official documentation.  I've not read
it, and can't comment on its quality or accuracy.  The
handbook should tell you what you need to know (if
it doesn't, you can contact the doc team at doc@freebsd.org).

"src-all" updates the base system; "ports-all" updates the
ports tree.  doc-all would update /usr/doc (assuming
you're using default locations).  So, it depends on what
you're desiring to update at the time.

I have been tracking -STABLE while it was 4.X, until
5.2 came out.  I use the stable-supfile for that, set
to RELENG_4.  I guess I'll probably start cvsupping
to RELENG_5 on my new 5.X boxes.  After this, it's
the well documented "make buildworld, make buildkernel,
make installkernel, reboot single user, mergemaster -p,
make installworld, reboot, mergemaster" cycle to
update your installation of FreeBSD.

To update your ports, cvsup with the ports-supfile
and then run portupgrade (which itself is a port).

Dru Lavigne has a good article on that one here:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html

>4. The tutorial (see 3 above) item 97 concludes, after running cvsup,
>"FreeBSD is installed, CONGRATULATIONS!" Isn't this a bit premature?
>It seems to me that at that point I need to rebuild world per
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.html#MAKEWORLD
>to apply the new files and bring the system up to date. Am I missing
>something?
>

>Jay O'Brien
>Rio Linda, California, USA

HTH,