Date:      Sun, 01 Dec 2002 11:11:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        dcs@newsguy.com
Cc:        ru@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, re@FreeBSD.ORG, dougb@FreeBSD.ORG, peter@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [REPORT] Upgrade from 4.0-RELEASE to 5.0-CURRENT

In message: <3DEA2774.DCE1CACD@newsguy.com>
            "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com> writes:
: There I go reply to all... <sigh>
:
: IIRC, we never supported upgrade to 4.0 or 4.1 from anybut but the
: *latest* version in the 3.x series. I sure hope we adopt the same policy
: here.

ru@ has stepped up to the plate to support more.  He's gone through
and made sure that all the way back to 4.0-release is upgradable (at
least at each release point), going to support it through the first
branchpoint.  You as a committer aren't required to do extra work to
make this work, except to not remove things he's done to make this
work.  It is unclear what should happen when a piece of thirdparty
software is upgraded.  However, core ruled a long time ago that ru@
can take reasonable measures to make sure that it works.  ru@ has kept
it up for a while now, so it looks like he's in it for the long run.

This is only for native builds.  Anything that is needed for cross
building isn't included in this 'upgrade' path.  It is there just to
make our user's life easier.  Also, core didn't want the work arounds
to get too gross, but so far all the ones I've l ooked at were
relatively inobtrusive.

Warner